Bathtub Refinishing Information

 Dallas Bathtub Refinishing Information

Bathtub refinishing is so much more than bathtub painting. Let's go over what happened in this video of a bathtub refinishing job I completed in Garland TX


Dallas Bathtub Refinishing Breakdown of My Video

Let's break down the Dallas bathtub refinishing video of me  and what was going through my mind. The first words I say, says it all "Nothings bonded", that's the first words out of my mouth and if I sound disgusted then you are correct! This porcelain bathtub had been professionally refinished 6 months ago! I was happy to have the work but at the same time I was embarrassed by the black cloud that looms over our Industry by this type of workmanship. I felt bad that I was refinishing a bathtub that these people paid for only a few months earlier. The first 0:45 seconds shows me easily removing sheets of the paint. The viewer can see paint chips in the drain (I removed for the customer). At 0:46 I am pointing to how glossy the porcelain is under the new surface. I am saying "nothing is etched" and "no silane". Silane coupling agent bonds on a molecular level. Condensation had formed under the paint against the porcelain. Just as a cold glass of water forms condensation around it on a hot Dallas TX day! This condensation builds up and releases the paint from the porcelain surface. Silane is activated by moisture, so it gels and ties the surfaces together, making the old surface and the new surface one.

Why Do Other Bathtub Refinishing Companies Not Use Silane?

Silane is applied full strength. It is hand rubbed into the pores created through the etching process. Silane cost about $175 per quart, since it is used full strength you can imagine how expensive that becomes at the end of the months. I have personally used almost a quart of silane on a single Dallas bathtub refinishing job. My guess is if they focus on the money too much then leaving out this crucial step becomes a gamble. At around the 1:00 mark you can hear my frustration "all of this is coming off".

What Was Going Through My Mind at The One Minute Mark

At the one minute mark I was thinking the customer told me they paid $360.00 so why would the other bathtub refinishing Technician not have said $460 and charged for the silane? The customer explained to me they did not know one way from the other, it looked good when he finished. So I knew it's up to the true Dallas Bathtub Refinishing businesses to educate not only our customers, but anyone interested in having a bathtub, tile, vanity, or sink refinished. 

In Closing How Was This Bathtub Refinishing Project Completed

I sanded and stripped away the paint, then cleaned the tub surface with powered scrubber. I then used a cleaning / etching solution to open the pores of the pocelain surface on a microscopic level. This allows the silane coupling agent to form a chemical bond from inside the pores, completing a proper tie of the two surfaces. The picture at 1:15 seconds was showing how, after the loose paint was removed. A visual could be seen of how the water and condensation had tore up the painted surface. After sanding and stripping the remaining paint and I applied a polyester Liquid Porcelain surface that is now mechanically and chemically welded to the old surface. Tied together so the new surface is an integral part of the bathtub. Providing the customer with a gorgeous surface that I expect to last 20 years.

972-391-7994 - Free quotes by text. Simply send a picture of your refinishing project and I will get an exact quote over to you!

Dallas Bathtub Refinishing in Dallas TX     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dallas Bathtub Refinishing Polyester Coating

Dallas Bathtub Refinishing Reviews